Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What a dull garden I have.

Well, we have been in Placentia for over 2 years now and I'm ready to start my garden.

COMPOST: Several weeks ago, I started a compost pile for my planned square foot garden. Since I know it takes time to build a quality compost, I started early. I was pleased with myself for this until I found out the city will give all residents 55 gallons of compost in April. Now I think I may have just a little too much since I've already started 55 gallons. No smell yet. I'm told that if it is done properly, there should NOT be a strong odor. I'll let you know.

ROSES: Lindy and I sat down for a few minutes last night and looked at a great book "Encyclopedia of Roses". This wonderful gift to me from Lindy's sister Laury has been a fun book to look at. It has instructions on how to grow roses so I now can't claim ignorance. The problem is there are over 2000 (yes, two thousand) variations of roses. How to decide? We figure about 5 roses will go in this location. We are also looking into a rose garden in the front, but that probably won't happen until next year (2010).


Square Foot Gardening: This will be my first attempt at square foot gardening. The entire premise is to have an entire vegetable garden in 4x4 square foot boxes. Their website makes it look possible, and since we currently have a limited area, I'm going to try it. I've already created 2 4x4 boxes. Now I just need to create my soil, add my compost, add seeds, water and harvest. Keep coming back to see the progress. It appears that I have a dry mote in my back yard. I'll explain that some day.


As always, in December I have high hopes for a beautiful and bountiful garden. I'll keep everyone posted to my progress throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment