Many have heard bits of this story, so I thought I would give everyone (those that actually read this blog) the entire story.
My doctor has decided that I’m at the age that I need to have a regular colonoscopy. Just to make sure the plumbing is working properly. So he sends me to the specialist, who needs to see me for insurance approval. He approves and is sending the papers into the insurance company for funding approval.
On Friday, October 23, before I can schedule the outpatient colonoscopy, I get sick. It appears the plumbing has decided not to work right, so Lindy takes me to the local ER. They check me, and run tubes and medical gadgets in me, and on me, and they determine that I need an emergency colonoscopy. Go Figure. They work on me all night (absolutely no sleep this night) to get my blood pressure back up to normal.
On Saturday @ 10:30 am, they wheel me into the room with all of the necessary tools to put me to sleep and watch my vital signs and, well, examine my colon. When they put me to sleep, my blood pressure dropped to 50/20. They decided that my colon was less important at this time, and they now worked to bring up my blood pressure. They put a tube through my chest directly into my heart. This was to get more fluids and drugs faster into my heart then the IV was capable of. All I knew was that I was 98% asleep and they were working on the wrong part of my body and it was painful, so I fought them. I guess my wrestling with Jim, Andrew and Matt at the same time was good practice for this fight. It took 4 of them but, they won, and I got better more quickly because they won. The nurses and doctors were actually great.
On Sunday @ 10:30 am, they bring all of their medical tools to put me to sleep and watch my vital signs and, well, examine my colon again into my hospital room. This time they brought an anesthesiologist with them. Although my blood pressure dropped again, it didn’t drop too low, and the exam went well. I had 1 tiny polyp, and a small infection that had been bleeding slowly.
I appreciate the many people who showed concern for my health. Cards, calls and visits. Lindy and Becky visited me several times. I also had a special visit from Jim, who drove all the way from Utah to be with me.
So, in the end, I fasted for 2 ½ days, had 3 liquid only meals, had a good meat loaf for lunch, and not so good beef for dinner and on Monday night, I was released to go home with the infection cleared up and missing a tiny polyp.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm sorry you had to be hospitalized...but I'm glad your better. We miss you guys!
ReplyDelete