Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Mote

The original owner of this house did some peculiar things around this house.


1) Plants planted into the ground in their original plastic containers. This isn't a real problem except for the roots. There is no where for the roots to go. Because of this, we lost a beautiful palm tree during 1 of our Santa Ana wind days.


2) Chains around palm trees to keep them together. This isn't a real problem except when 1 of the palm trees gets blown over due to the wind (see #1) and you don't have a key for the lock.


3) Chain link fencing buried in the driveway. This isn't a real problem unless you have a new driveway put in, and the contractors who were to spend 3 hours demoing the driveway needed 3 days.


The most interesting is the mote. This is the name of a trench along the back wall running the length of the property. It's dimensions are 110' x 7'2" x 1' 6". That's about 1,183 square feet (Please check my math and let me know if I'm wrong).



The explanation that I got for the mote is simple, but I've never heard anyone reacting this way. In most cities in southern CA, the city and utilities have run underground pipes and overhead wires. These same cities and utility companies have a right of way to improve/fix/manage these same pipes and wires. To do this, it may be necessary to dig up the ground. The previous owner handled this by building a mote the entire length of the backyard so that if the city/utility needed access to their pipes/wires, they could reach them without digging up the grass. Well, in 40 years, they have yet to dig up the yard. They did an upgrade to some of the pipes, from the street side a couple of years ago, so it looks like the mote was unnecessary. Now the mote has 2 horseshoe rings in it for entertainment. If I was to add a fence to it, it would be a great dog run. Of course, then I would need to get dogs.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining. This is a great house, and I love it. Just a few things I think are odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment